A comedy, a quartet, a revolutionary dream fugue, a true story
By Lauren Gunderson
Directed by Linda Pauli
Auditions: Monday, April 3 & Tuesday, April 4 at 7:00 pm
Callbacks (if needed) April 5th at 7:00 pm
First rehearsal/read thru April 8th at 3:00 pm
Performance Dates: June 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, &18, 2023
Sundays performances are at 3:00 pm, all others are at 8:00 pm
What to prepare for auditions
Nothing, auditions will consist of cold readings.
Please bring a list of any potential rehearsal conflicts to auditions.
The Revolutionist is a new play about four very real badass women who lived boldly in France during the French Revolution's Reign of Terror.
Playwright Olympe de Gouges, assassin Charlotte Corday, former queen (and fan of ribbons) Marie Antoinette, and Haitian rebel Marianne Angelle hang out, murder Marat, and try to beat back the extremist insanity in 1793 Paris. This grand and dream-tweaked comedy is about violence and legacy, art and activism, feminism and terrorism, compatriots and chosen sisters, and how we actually go about changing the world. It’s a true story. Or total fiction. Or a play about a play. Or a raucous resurrection…that ends in a song and a scaffold.
This grand and dream-tweaked comedy is about violence and legacy, art and activism, feminism and terrorism, compatriots and chosen sisters, and how we actually go about changing the world.
It’s a true story.
Or total fiction.
Or a play about a play.
Or a raucous resurrection. . .
that ends in a song and a scaffold.
Olympe de Gouges - age 38 - badass activist playwright and feminist. Theatre nerd, excitable, passionate, a showman. Widowed and never remarried to ensure her personal freedom
Charlotte Corday - age 25 - badass country girl and assassin. very serious, hardened by righteousness, never been kissed. She has a pocket watch she keeps checking. She also plays Fraternite in a mask.
Marie-Antoinette - age 38 - less badass but the fascinating former queen of France. Bubbly, graceful, opinionated, totally unaware, unintentionally rude, and oddly prescient. Never had a real friend. She also plays Fraternite in a mask.
Marianne Angelle - age 30s - A badass black woman in Paris. She is from the Caribbean, a free woman, and a spy working with her husband, Vincent. Tough, classy, vigilant, the sanest one of them all.
Produced in arrangement with Dramatists
Auditions for 2023 Shows
Look for auditions to be:
- The 10 Minute Play Festival - Auditions in June or July 2023
- Our November 2023 show will be announced in early 2023. Auditions will be during the summer for that show.
Please watch our website or follow us on Facebook to see any announcements. All audition information will be posted at https://4thstreetncca.com/auditions
General Audition Notes
- 4th Street Theater is a non-paid non-equity theatre. (all-volunteer)
- Sorry, we do not offer any paid positions or internships.
- No previous acting experience is required to audition for us.
- Actors are required to audition separately for each show they are interested in. We do not have a set troupe/group of actors.
- Auditions will always be announced on our website and Facebook. We also encourage you to join our email newsletter. We do not send out individual email notifications.